Thursday 30 July 2015

Lessons from a 100 days of fairies

The fairies are finished!

So I finished my last fairy for #the100dayproject on 25/07/15 and what a journey I have had! From a camellia fairy to a protection fairy I have spent 100 days pondering fairies and bringing them to life.

I had no idea my fairies would become quite so 'real' and that they would create a book, but it just goes to show the magic that can happen when you dedicate yourself to something for a length of time.

Perhaps you are thinking about starting your own 100 day project? What about 100 days of affirmations, or 100 days of self care? It doesn't have to be something that takes up a huge amount of time, but think about where you want to be and what might help you get there. 

It has been a really amazing experience and I'd like to share with you some of the things that I have discovered along the way.



Immediate deadlines

Having to produce something every day means that you also see results everyday. This is very satisfying and can help push you on. This works really well if you have a tendency to procrastinate because it leaves you less wiggle room and just have to do it!

Momentum is everything 

Once you have got started you will find that the project develops a momentum of its own. You fall into a rhythm with it and your day takes shape around it. This is such a great thing as it starts to flow and you don't need as much energy as the initial effort. Just get started and enjoy the ride!



Be passionate

I think you really have to want to do this!  I was keen to experiment and to develop my style. One of the major 'helps' for me was the discovery of Procreate and the opportunities that opened up for me! I loved trying new combinations, learning about layering and the possibilities of this. If you can find some way to make your project feel fresh, new and exciting, then you are really going to love your 100 days!

Be brave

Part of the process is sharing your results and this can be a little bit intimidating, especially when you are starting and you might not feel like your work is finished or as good as it could be.  On the other hand sharing can give you a major boost and makes it seem a little bit more real! It's just one of those times when you just have to do it! It's a bit like jumping into a pool of cold water, it's a bit of a shock at first, but you soon get used to it!



Don't think about the finish line!

When I started I didn't really think about 100 fairies. If I did I think it might have been too overwhelming and it might have even put me off! I just thought about it day by day! I didn't worry about what it was going to turn out like as I really had no idea! Sometimes I would look on Pinterest for ideas or I would simply take references from my life. Some days I asked Tabitha and of course I had lots of great suggestion from my Facebook followers!

Inspiration and motivation comes! You just need that initial push to get started and a little discipline to carry on!

There is beauty in the journey

Just because it requires commitment and discipline doesn't mean that it's hard! Ultimately the project is for YOU!  Embrace it and when you reach the end you might find that you actually don't want to stop!

I'd love to hear if you are going to start your own project and how you get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment